Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stuffed Jalapenos...Appetizer Night!

When I have had a long week at work or I want to have a cozy dinner, I often declare "Appetizer Night!" I think little bite sized food and an assortment of dips is so much fun, I get all happy just thinking about it! While our appetizer list frequently changes, as I'm not one to make something over and over when I could try a new recipe, these poppers are ALWAYS on our list. They keep my husband happy and that means the dishes are washed by him, so on the list they stay!

Stuffed Jalapenos

1 (ish) pound jalapenos
1/2 package cream cheese (I use the 1/3 less fat kind.)
1 cup mexican blend shredded cheese
2-3 Tbsp. crumbled bacon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup bread crumbs


 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cut jalapenos lengthwise and seed.
(Be careful, very careful. Many times my I have seriously hurt my eyes. I've even ruined a contact when I couldn't get the sting washed out of it! Lesson learned: touch, rub, put glasses on prior to touching the peppers...that, or, give the job to someone else!)



2. Combine cream cheese, shredded cheese, bacon, salt, garlic powder, and chili powder.


3. Smoosh (technical huh?) a spoonful of the filling into each pepper.


 4. Roll in breadcrumbs and place on a greased baking pan.
5. Bake, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes. The longer you bake them (up to 45 minutes), the more mild they will be.
6. Serve with sour cream.


These are yummy, especially on appetizer night!

3 comments:

  1. I do love things things. I'm even happy to take one for the team and cut and de-seed those spicy little devils myself.
    Oh, I'm claiming my last coupon good for your cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Brad and I will definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Guys, I read this tip in the Cooking Club magazine. It says if you experience a burning sensation in your hands after working with jalapenos, soak them in a bowl of milk. The writer said she thought of this because drinking milk helps ease the burn when you eat spicy foods. Anyway, I haven't tried it but they say it works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete