Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Date Night Fondue

The day my husband asked me to marry him, our engagement night, he topped off his extravagant plans with a trip to the Melting Pot and our first experience with fondue. Um...we were hooked! He couldn't get enough of the cheese fondue and I wanted to pack the chocolate fondue into my purse to take home with me...not that there was any left! Needless to say, I knew I had to make a drastically cheaper version at home.

I first tried this recipe I adapted from Rachael Ray's Cheese Fondue to make a yummy birthday surprise for my hubby. Since then it has been our go-to date night for the last two years. It is delicious, filling, romantic, and a fun experience! This particular recipe (and the only one I've tried due to not wanting to mess with a good thing) calls for Gruyere cheese. It's a little on the expensive side (13 bucks for a hunk of it), but still not too bad when compared to a night out. Pair it with an assortment of dippers...and you are set!

Date Night Fondue


Ingredients:
1 garlic clove
1 cup dry white wine
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Kirsch
Ground Pepper
Nutmeg

We don't have Kirsch, so I rely on Blaneys, which is an Irish cream, white wine, and whiskey liquor...or so the bottle tells me.


Beautiful, expensive shredded cheese. We have to make sure the cheese isn't processed like Velveeta, but natural, like Parmigiano Reggiano.


Crush the garlic clove, peel, and rub all around fondue pot. Add white wine and lemon juice.


Heat over low heat until just simmering.


Gradually add cheese and stir in a figure-8 until melted smoothly.


Mix the Kirsh and cornstarch and add to cheese mixture.


Season with freshly ground pepper and nutmeg, cook for at least 3 more minutes.


Some of the frequent dippers!


Yummy...makes me think of my stretchy pants just looking at it!

1 comment: