Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Best Bread Pudding

Really! That's its name! And I have to agree with Paula Deen on this one. I never thought I'd enjoy bread pudding, but this one takes the cake and also opened up a love of all bread pudding for me. I think the delectable part of the recipe is the resemblance it has to my favorite sweet potato casserole recipe. Speaking of that, I'll need to make and blog about that casserole...especially since sweet potatoes are priced at 10 cents a pound right now! Both contain a brown sugar, butter, and pecan topping that literally melts in your mouth. Paula Deen's original recipe calls for double the sugar that I use..and mine is plenty plenty sweet, and I also add more bread cubes. To make a tasty "breakfast for dinner," I combine this with scrambled eggs and ham. It's great as a dessert too!


The Best Bread Pudding Ingredients:

1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups cubed Italian bread, staled overnight
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.

Beat eggs. Add granulated sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix well.


Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, mix together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
(I use a pastry blender.)


Pour bread mixture into prepared pan.
Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.


So stop throwing your old bread away and give this dish a try!

1 comment: