Monday, January 17, 2011

Black Bean and Chicken Nachos

As I come to write this next post, I've realized that blogging can be hard at times! :)

Here is a list of challenges I've realized throughout this learning process called blogging:
1. Don't make up a recipe and fail to post for a few weeks. You'll forget your own recipe and that makes it quite hard to share with others.
2. Taking photos of food is no picnic. I'll elaborate:
3. The best lighting is pure daylight, which isn't readily available after work when it is pitch black before making dinner even comes to mind.
4. Who makes dinner when its daylight out anyway? Even if I was home during the day, my ham and cheese sandwich that I would make for lunch definitely isn't blog-worthy, it's the supper meals where I break out the big guns.
5. Using a flash when taking pictures is a no no, and therefore, I'm often uploading five or so takes of each snapshot trying to get one that isn't blurry. I'm apparently not as still as the lens would like me to be...sorry lens, I'm really working on it.
6. In an effort to fake the natural lighting, I'm carting around florescent lamps, especially in my new wonderful kitchen, with its not so wonderful dim lighting.
7. Taking those coveted action shots is a pill. Because I'm right handed, I take pictures right handed and I also cook right handed. Try to do both at one time without two right hands, well, you get the picture. I'm waiting for the day when I have to break it to my husband that my camera landed in spaghetti sauce.
8. I'm a procrastinator on blogging, because, well, sometimes, I'm just not that interesting. I find it hard to think of fabulous, red carpet introductions. Maybe I'll just cut back on that a tad, since there are many recipes in my files ready to be blogged about...you won't mind a lack of commentary once in a while, huh?
9. Last but not least, I've learned how much editing goes into great photography. My intentions are there, but I'm learning as I go.
Better and better I'll become!

So take all that into consideration with this tasty next recipe. A little blurry, a little dark...but oh so comfort food good.

Black Bean and Chicken Nachos
By me

Ingredients:
Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (2 cup bag)
Black Beans
Rotel (spicy, mild, however you roll)
Chicken, cooked and shredded: see recipe below.
Taco Seasoning
Sour Cream

This is a great recipe, when vegetables aren't at their peak, in other words, when it's winter.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil so you don't have to do dishes.
Spread baking sheet with tortilla chips until well covered.


Sprinkle with 3/4 cup shredded cheese so the rest of the ingredients stick to the chips.


Drain and rinse black beans and spread over chips.
Drain Rotel and spread over beans.


Top with shredded chicken.


Sprinkle 2-4 Tablespoons taco seasoning over chicken.
Top with remaining 1 1/4 cup cheese.


Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and ingredients are warmed through.


Serve with sour cream.

Slow cooker chicken:
I love making shredded chicken for any recipe in the slow cooker. It makes for wonderfully moist chicken and there's no need to thaw.
1. Place appropriate amount of chicken breast pieces into slow cooker. (2 for the nachos)
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fill slow cooker with chicken broth until it reaches at least halfway up the chicken pieces.
4. Cook on low 6-7 hours.
5. Shred with a fork.
6. Continue cooking shredded chicken in juice for 45-60 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! Everything you said is true. I really struggle with lighting too! I have one window in my kitchen and there are shadows on everything. Your pics are great!

    ReplyDelete