Sunday, January 2, 2011

Our Christmas Gift


I have missed posting oh-so-much these past few weeks! The goal that I set myself was to post twice a week or so and I think I have some catching up to do! We have been rather busy lately! Along with our usual travels and family visiting (which we enjoyed immensely), we were able to close on our dream home two days before Christmas! This home was a long time in the waiting. Much to our disappointment, last year, this home slipped through our fingers. However, losing the home then was the best thing that could have happened to us. Months passed after that, and we tried to forget about what could have been! Well, only a few weeks ago this house kind of fell into our lap again and we jumped at our second chance! Not only have we secured our dream home, but we did so at an amazingly, need-to-pinch-myself-to-believe-it deal! We are so excited to start this adventure together!

Our new home is not necessarily "new" to anyone but ourselves. This home was built in 1836, which makes it 175 years old! We are in the process of researching more about the original owners and history, and we are so excited to start renovating! Here's what we know so far: the lower level originally served as a doctor's office, the original owners had slaves, the owner passed away and we were left with his original headstone as it cracked on the way to the grave site and had to be replaced. This headstone is now resting on one of our four fireplaces...creepy much? We know that it used to sit on sprawling farmland, has an original staircase along with many other original features, and suffered a fire on the top floor. The top floor needed to be rebuilt in the 1980s. It is situated in the middle of thousands of modern homes and is currently part of a developing subdivision. And when you walk in the front door you are immediately sent from fabulous 2011 to the intriguing 1800s! Needless to say, it stands out! We will keep everyone posted on the project and will add pictures of the interior soon!

This new year brings a lot of hope and optimism for many people. I truly hope you and yours experience renewed love for each other and yourself. I wish you the best of luck on your resolutions! I also want to express my thanks for taking time to read about little-ol-me and supporting me and my new found hobby (I now have 18 followers!) ...many more recipes to come!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new/old home! I can't wait to hear/see/taste all the new recipes you make in your new kitchen. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, your new/old home looks AMAZING from the outside! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the house! Can't wait to see pictures of the inside! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete