Sunday, January 9, 2011

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

I am a sucker for macaroni and cheese. I love the Kraft boxed, Velveeta boxed, easy mac, fried mac and cheese, you name it. I grew up eating my families traditional macaroni and cheese, you can find the recipe here (blogged by my cousin, Jandee) and I continue to try new recipes.

For the past two years I have leaned on a mac and cheese recipe that includes red onions and breadcrumbs. It is the quintessential macaroni and cheese recipe for me. I found it on the back of a Creamette elbow noodle box. I've found that if anyone is going to know the perfect recipe for a product, it'll be the people who produce and package it. I trust most any recipe on the back of a box for that reason. They must be confident enough in their recipe to put it so readily available to consumers! And they didn't disappoint!

So do any of you have macaroni and cheese recipes to share? I'd love to try them! I think my next one is going to be a buffalo chicken mac and cheese...spice things up a bit!

Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Slightly adapted from Creamette


Ingredients:

1/2 package (8 oz.) elbow macaroni, then dump in a little more for good measure! :)
3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 cups milk (I use skim and it's just fine.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup chopped red onion
2 cups  (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (mild or medium)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs

While preparing cheese sauce, cook pasta according to directions or until al dente (slightly undercooked) and preheat oven to 350 degrees.


To make the roux: In a pan, melt margarine. Stir in flour, and cook for a minute or so.


Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat, until sauce thickens.
Stir in salt and pepper.


Add onion and cheese; stir until cheese melts.


Stir cooked pasta into cheese mixture. Spoon into greased 9x13 baking dish.


Top with breadcrumbs.
Bake 30 minutes.


Then sit down, kick up your feet, and eat the whole thing.

3 comments:

  1. The very last line made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great with lots of flavor! Thanks for including a link to my blog! Congrats on the house!! Sooooo exciting! I can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,
    I love your blog...cooking is a great stress reliever. Im an RN and work in a very busy hospital recovery room. Very loud, exciting etc.
    After a particular hard shift I will jump in my jeep, hit the kitchen door and "create". I've come up with some of my best recipes that way.
    My dog Izzy can't wait to see me standing at the butcher block with ingredients in hand...ulterior motives I'm sure....

    Your new "old" home sounds amazing. Please post more pics.
    By the way....your dad Brad is my cousin! Your grampa Steve is my moms little brother.

    Keep at it Casey....food conjures up many good memories! Tell your dad hello from me :-)
    Margie Garnetti

    ReplyDelete